- December 15th, 2014
- Comments Off on Recipes from Our Chalkboard – Our House-made Preserves
Asian Plum Marinade
great for poultry, pork & beef
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 cup Southport Grocery European Plum Preserves
3 T. hoisin sauce
2 T. canola oil
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. oyster sauce
1 T. sriracha sauce
2 T. sliced scallions
1 t. minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
Place all ingredients into a bowl & whisk until blended. Use a marinade for poultry, pork or beef.
Glazed Red Pepper Jelly Drunken Salmon
2 T. Southport Grocery Red Pepper Jelly
2 T. bourbon or whiskey
1 T. honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1 T. lime juice
4 (6-8 oz) skinless salmon fillets
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients & spread over salmon. Marinate 10 minutes.
- Place salmon in covered oven safe dish. Cover & bake 15–20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon, basting once or twice. Cut each fillet into bite-size pieces & arrange on a platter.
Tomato Preserve Grilled Cheese
Slather a piece of thick-cut grainy bread with Southport Grocery Tomato Preserves. Layer on top your favorite cheese; we like a mix of pepper jack & cheddar. Butter outsides of bread & grill in sauté pan until golden brown & cheese is melted.
Blackberry Cranberry Sauce Cobbler
4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 cup Southport Grocery Cranberry Red Grape sauce
1/3 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup buttermilk
coarse sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients & stir well. Transfer to 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg & salt. Pour in butter & buttermilk; stir until just combined. Drop dollops of topping onto berry mixture forming a roughly even layer with a “cobbled-together” look. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until topping is browned & fruit is thick & bubbling. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream,