- September 30th, 2019
- Comments Off on riches from a bountiful summer!
Our menu and our grocery shelves are full of great things from the summer harvest … preserved right here in our second floor kitchen, using local produce. Our Good Food...
- February 27th, 2018
- Comments Off on tastes of warmer weather
Yes, we are all craving spring! … longer days and warmer weather. And for us, local fruits and veges. But, we need to ‘hold our horses’ … the first spring...
- September 1st, 2016
- Comments Off on Housemade at Southport: Breakfast Sandwich
Did you know we make everything from scratch here at Southport Grocery? Let’s talk about our Breakfast Sandwich: it’s ginger-sage sausage, local butterkase, pepper jelly, arugula & an over easy...
- August 11th, 2016
- Comments Off on Farm in Focus: Driftless Organics
Great potatoes = great mash. It’s as simple as that. So that’s why we source our potatoes from Driftless Organics in Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin. The farm is run by 2...
- August 1st, 2016
- Comments Off on Farm in Focus: Lange’s Farm
Lange’s have been farming in Elwood, Illinois since 1993. They run their family owned and operated farm with over 40 years experience under their belt, having previously owned land in...
- December 7th, 2015
- Comments Off on Hash 3.0 – A Potato Update
We updated our potatoes not too long ago with something a bit chunkier than our first long-term version. The cubed version was great, tasty and gave the hash a much-needed...
- October 23rd, 2015
- Comments Off on Our New Burger – Midwest Is Best
We got to tinkering a few weeks ago. We loved how our burger was, love it for the many, many years it lived on our menu but wanted something a...
- July 3rd, 2015
- Comments Off on Closed July 4th 2015
Just a quick note – we’ll be closed for the 4th this year – but will be open Sunday at 8am. We hope you have a safe and wonderful holiday!
- May 27th, 2015
- Comments Off on Summer 2015’s First Menu Refresh
Here we are amongst the heat and rain and unrelenting humidity already and it’s only late May. Welcome to the unofficial start to summer here in Chicago. We thought it...
- May 7th, 2015
- Comments Off on Our Cruffin – Layers of Perfection
We love combining flavors (like our pretzel cookie, brisket and gravy, and so many others) here at Southport Grocery and Cafe, and ever tinkering bakers pulled inspiration – and out...